Consultancy for ISO 17025:2017
ISO/IEC 17025:2017 is the main ISO standard used by testing and calibration laboratories, the standard for which most labs must hold accreditation in order to be deemed technically competent. ISO/IEC 17025:2017 specifies the general requirements for the competence to carry out tests and/or calibrations, including sampling. It covers testing and calibration performed using standard methods, non-standard methods, and laboratory-developed methods.
It is applicable to all companies performing tests and/or calibrations. These include, for example, first-, second- and third-party laboratories, and laboratories where testing and/or calibration forms part of inspection and product certification.
ISO/IEC 17025:2017 is applicable to all laboratories regardless of the number of personnel or the extent of the scope of testing and/or calibration activities.
Laboratories use ISO/IEC 17025 to implement a quality system aimed at improving their ability to consistently produce valid results. It is also the basis for accreditation from an accreditation body. Laboratory customers, regulatory authorities and accreditation bodies may also use it in confirming or recognizing the competence of laboratories.
As an accredited laboratory with ISO 17025:2017, laboratories has incorporated an overall system for technical and quality management, which results in benefits observed in daily laboratory practices.
- Technical requirements will improve to include the addition of formal personnel training plans and detailed records, method development and validation procedures, measurement of method uncertainty, and a defined equipment calibration and maintenance program.
- A stronger definition of the sample preparation process will be documented to maintain consistency in sampling, and a more rigorous quality control monitoring program was implemented.
- Management quality improvements focused on document control to maintain consistent analytical processes, improved monitoring of supplier performance, a contract review process for documenting customer requirements, and a system for handling customer comments and complaints, with continuous improvement through corrective and preventive action procedures.
- Management review of corrective actions, nonconforming testing, and proficiency testing aid in determining long-term trending.
- Faster identification and resolution of issues regarding methods, personnel or equipment, improved customer satisfaction, meeting quality requirements of specialized customers, and overall increased laboratory business.